Thursday, March 18, 2010

Swedish Knits Book Review


I checked this book out from my local library. I love Norwegian styled sweaters and thought that this book might be something along those lines. And yes, I recognize that Swedish styles can differ from Norwegian styles.

To say that the book was a disappointment would be an understatement. The book had 21 patterns in it with only two of them truly representing traditional Scandinavian sweaters. The other patterns were good- don't get me wrong- but in a book entitled Swedish Knits am I expecting too much to expect that all the patterns would be either traditional Swedish Knits, updated versions of the same, or a discussion of Swedish knitting?

This book did not touch on really any of this. The first few chapters of the book discuss knitting techniques- from beginner through advanced. It even discusses creating your own patterns. That's great and all, but that's the type of information I want in a book about how to knit and not from I book that is supposed to be about a specific type of knitting.

The overall presentation of the book was quite nice with the photography being very good. The directions were easy to understand. The one nice thing about the book is that they walk you through making a sweater (but then again a lot of other books do as well).

There is no real niche here. I gladly return this book to the library.

Am I being too harsh?

No comments:

Post a Comment